Some of the ways we can help include:
- Joining the PTA
- Donating/fundraising/collecting receipts to fund all the PTA-supported programs (previously discussed)
- Stocking up the classrooms with supplies that otherwise would be paid for out of the teachers' wallets or PTA funds
- Communicating regularly with the teachers about your child's progress, or any concerns
- Helping your student to learn at home
- Volunteering in the classroom
- Coming on field trips as a chaperone
- Joining one of the many PTA committees to create a vibrant, healthy Bagley community
You can talk to your teacher about opportunities to improve the classroom experience. Last year, our teacher had a form at Welcome Night for identifying class-related volunteer activities that would fit our experience and schedules.
There are regular calls for volunteers to assist with computerized testing, school tours, or other all-school activities.
For general volunteering, there will be a sign-up list at Welcome Night, in mailings, and in kid mail. The PTA needs you! A bunch of the activities can be done at home, so there are ways for working parents to get involved, too. Some of the PTA volunteer roles needed this year (condensed from the website):
- Artsonia - Upload student art onto a central website.
- Art Walk - Annual student art show in May/June.
- Bee Green Committee - Work with students/staff to make Bagley greener.
- Book Fair - Events to raise funds for the school library.
- Classroom Liaison - Be the PTA liaison person for your child’s individual classroom.
- Clip n’ Chat - Join other parents to assemble the weekly "kid mail." Thursdays, 9:20-11:20am.
- Event Assistance – Help with hosting or baking for small events such as Principal's Coffee or training days.
- Family Fun Nights - Plan social activities.
- Finance/Budget – Assist the Co-Treasurers with budget planning, tracking or auditing.
- Free Money Program - Count receipts and sell scrip.
- Giving Campaign/Raffle/Auction - Help with our largest annual fundraising event in February/March.
- Grounds Maintenance - Keep the school’s ground looking clean and fresh all year.
- Jogathon - Assist Mr. Millsap with this all-school event on Friday, October 1st, or before.
- Kindergarten Tours - Serve as tour guide during the open enrollment period in Feb/March.
- Nurse Assistance - Occasional vision/hearing screening and/or head lice screening.
- Outdoor Classroom & Learning Garden - Work with students in the outdoor classroom garden.
- Reflections Art Program - Assist committee showcasing student artwork in Nov/Dec.
- Science Kit Volunteers - Inventory classroom science kits.
- Teacher Appreciation - Assist with this annual May event honoring our teachers/staff.
- Wreath Sales - Sales in November/December.
- Writing/Editing - - Bagley Buzz newsletter and/or other PTA publications.
- Yearbook Photographers - Take photos at school events.
Other PTA volunteer committees/programs include: After School Class Coordinator, Bee Green Committee, Before School Spanish Classes, Building Leadership Team (with staff), Buzz editor, Chinook Book sales, Family Directory/PTA Membership, Garden Committee, Green Field, Greenwood Parade, Inclusion Program Liaison, Instrumental Music Liaison, Legislative Liaison, Parents' Night Out, Reader Board Coordinator, T-Shirt Sales, v-list admin, Volunteer Coordinators, Walking School Bus, Webmaster, Wreath Sales, and Yearbook... and probably a few others.
See? Volunteers really are critical.
The first PTA meeting will be Tuesday September 20, 6:30-8, probably in the lunchroom. This is a great chance to get an idea of how the school works behind the scenes, and to meet some of the shakers and movers who provide so much support to the staff and students at Daniel Bagley. Stop by and see how you can help!